Frequently Asked Questions
What are your COVID-19 safety procedures?
Your safety is our priority. Here are our current procedures:
- Face coverings are required when you are not actively working out.
- Coaches wear face coverings at all times.
- Equipment is disinfected between every use.
- Workouts designed for no sharing of equipment.
- Each athlete has their own 8′ x 8′ area.
- No open gym during class time.
- Athletes are not permitted to workout if feeling ill.
- Class capacity is limited to 26.
What will my first time in your gym be like?
We will welcome you in, introduce ourselves, and start with a 30 second tour. Then we’ll talk about what you want out of CrossFit and tell you about how a typical class works. After a quick chat, we will start your first session. An easy warm up, followed by a thirty-minute skill session where you’ll learn and get the chance to practice some basic CrossFit movements. At the end we will get you a short and sweet workout, and confirm your second session!
I’m not in shape… can I do this?
No matter if you have never worked out, or you are an olympian, we will introduce CrossFit as slow or as fast as you’re comfortable with. Every workout can be modified specifically for you, so that you get the most out of it.
There are exactly ZERO prerequisites to starting CrossFit. We will meet you right where you are and you’ll improve your fitness from day 1 along with everyone else in your class :)
Is there any special equipment I need?
Nope! Just standard workout gear as you will be moving your body and need full range of motion. And don’t forget water!
Not mandatory, but we recommend a stable, multipurpose athletic shoe. Our favorites are: Reebok Nano and Nike Metcon.
How often do you recommend I come to the gym?
If you’re just starting out, we recommend coming three days per week for your first few weeks, then build to four, then five. Listen to your body and get great rest! Sleeping 7+ hours per night and eating to support exercise is key. Once you’re up to five days per week, we will coach you on a great approach so that you do not take on too much fatigue. A few of our athletes train 6 days per week, and that is great as long as you make recovery a priority!
I'm already an athlete. Can CrossFit help?
Yes. CrossFit has proven extremely effective at enhancing sport-specific performance. It is especially effective at reducing injuries in endurance athletes or helping you to get fitter in the off-season. If you are looking to train to become a better performing athlete, contact us and a coach will reach out with more info!
What if I have a disability or an injury?
That’s perfectly fine! We love giving options to people who aren’t able to complete the workouts exactly as they are written. Everyone has the ability to do every workout. We frequently change movements, positions, weights, or speeds. We will work together to figure out what is best for you!
Will lifting weights make me big & bulky?
Lifting weights will make you strong, not bulky. Your body composition will change; you’ll burn more fat to build more muscle; and you’ll feel more powerful in your own body.
To gain significant weight, you’ll need to not only lift very heavy multiple days a week, but you’ll need to eat well into the 3,000+ calorie range every day. It’s a very conscious effort to “get bulky,” so don’t fret!
What if I'm "not good" at it?
That is part of it! A big reason we show up is because there are always skills that need practice. There isn’t anyone who is perfect at CrossFit. Even if you have been with us for 10+ years, everyone has strengths and weaknesses.
Why is your gym more expensive than other gyms?
We know we aren’t the cheapest place to get a workout in. But, we know that if you are part of our family, and make OTG part of your daily routine, you will not see results faster or results that last as long. Here’s some specifics on what goes into our pricing:
- Our gym: we offer a space that gives our classes enough room for any type of workout.
- Our coaches: we require our coaches to be trained up to CrossFit’s standards, and that you are getting individual attention every time you are training.
- Our program: we carefully administer our workouts like a doctor administers a prescription. Not too much or too little of any area of fitness, but a combination that works and works quickly.
- Class Size: We can’t have 100 people training at the same time like some other gyms. We want to be able to keep everyone safe and that means being able to effectively coach every member through every work out.
- Our Equipment: We purchase the best. Long-lasting and high quality equipment to best serve our community. Frequent equipment upgrades and additions are to be expected! And that means different workouts, which is more fun!
Do you offer internships?
Do you have showers?
Yes. One shower in each bathroom.
Start Today, Feel Better Tomorrow
We know walking through the door is the hardest part. You take the first step and we’ll show you the rest of the way.